Thursday, December 10, 2009

Out-of-Office Autoreply: I May Be Promoted to Management

It's that time of the year again when most Kenyans are planning for their long end-of-year holidays, so we need to think about what contingency plans we can put in place for the time we are out of the office. An out-of-office autoreply for our e-mails is one approach and here are some nice ideas I came across:
  1. You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn't have received anything at all.
  2. Sorry to have missed you but I am at Kenyatta National Hospital having my brain removed so that I may be promoted to management.
  3. I will be unable to delete all the unread, worthless emails you send me until I return from vacation on 4th of January 2010. Please be patient and your email will be deleted in the order it was received.
  4. The e-mail server is unable to verify your server connection and is unable to deliver this message. Please restart your computer and try sending again. (The beauty of this one is that when you return, you can see how many people did this over and over).
  5. I will be out of the office for the next 2 weeks for medical reasons. When I return, please refer to me as "Wairimu" instead of "Njoroge".
So, which one should I put? (please don't vote for number five)
And what are you going to put as your out-of-office autoreply?

10 comments:

savvy said...

Number four is a good one, though I won't have an automatic one myself. Now am trying to relate the picture with the promotion to office..

Rafiki said...

@ savvy: Thanks for not voting for number 5. Well, the picture, yeah, good question, why is it even there?

SisBigBones said...

Definitely number 4! But, in this day and age of technology, you don't need autoreply. Admit it, you'll check your email anyway, even if you're on vacation! :)

Darius Stone said...

I actually think auto-responders for e-mail at work is childish and self indulging.

We'd like to think we're that important and indispensible - but I prefer to look at it differently and not be a slave to my email. Most people spend a significant amount of time just responding to e-mail in the first place, it's a wonder how they get any work done. Besides, the only thing that will happen if you respond to 10 e-mails is that you get 50 back - and there starts the cycle of unproductivity.

If the person sending you the email doesn't realise that it's Christmas and you could actually be away from the office, then they don't deserve a reply.

On all other days, your colleagues covering for you when away can respond to the email. If you're not that organized, you've got bigger problems than an auto responder can help with.

Anne said...

No. 1 definitely @1. none reply's emails unless you follow up with a call like "hey did u see my mail?" they go like " uh... i was actually just getting to it..."
so #1 is on point.

jesusfreak7 said...

he he he 4!! that's funny
but Darius i think they are necessary some jobs dot have holidays and u may be working on a crucial contact position for a company so in outo reply you need to indicate the contacts of the person that can be reached on office maters [the person who is holding ur position while ur at holiday]

jesusfreak7 said...

he he he 4!! that's funny
but Darius i think they are necessary some jobs dot have holidays and u may be working on a crucial contact position for a company so in outo reply you need to indicate the contacts of the person that can be reached on office maters [the person who is holding ur position while ur at holiday]

LAWEY

Wyndago said...

Number 2!! Hehe. Brain transplant in order to get that promotion. But i had a hard time to choose, i had it reduced to numbr 2 and 3. Apparently number 2 took it.
Humourous!!

JanuskieZ said...

Hi... Looking ways to market your blog? try this: http://bit.ly/instantvisitors

gladys said...

hehe!!!!number 4