Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sauti Sol: Refreshing Kenyan music now available to the world

The refreshingly creative Kenyan band Sauti Sol consists of Bien-Aime Baraza, Willis Chimano, Delvin Mudigi and Polycarp Otieno, who met in high school and originally started as an a capella group.

The group is inspired by the choices, consequences and challenges that the Kenyan youth face and the need to revamp the music industry with a different unique sound that cuts across all age groups. Musically, their inspiration comes from the music of Fadhili Williams, Daudi Kabaka and other established African artists such as Salif Keita and Lokua Kanza. Eclecticsoul describes Sauti Sol's music appropriately as "afro fusion/neo soul sound that soothes, grooves and moves your mind, your body, your soul and takes it to that secret place where music meets heaven".

Their first album "Mwanzo" is an excellent fusion of delightful African sounds with a modern urban feel. Most of the songs are extremely well received when performed live among Sauti Sol's continuously growing fan-base.

The first single from this amazing album is "Lazizi". It was released in February 2009. Here it is:



The second single "Blue Uniform" was released in July 2009:



The complete album "Mwanzo" will be available for download from Amazon from Tuesday, 4th of August 2009.



Sauti Sol will be going on tour to Europe at the end of August. This is a good opportunity for the band to showcase their great talent and show the world a little of Kenya's musical scene. What better way to send the band off than with a live show on Saturday, August 8th, 2009, at the August 7th Memorial Park (Moi Avenue, opposite Railways) from noon to 6 pm, and an exclusive afterparty at Blue Times Lounge (Museum Hill) where you will have the chance to meet the band, grab an autograph, and take a picture. Let's send these guys off in style!

Ticketing info:
Concert: Advance tickets: KSh 300/- (call +254 727 214465); Gate: KSh 400/-
Afterparty: Free with concert ticket; KSh 200/- without.

Sauti Sol will also be performing at tomorrow's (Saturday, August 2nd, 2009) Blankets and Wine.

11 comments:

Mountainous said...

The album is definately a refreshing option for anyone who wants to listen to something Kenyan and Different. I got a copy at NuMetro Westgate on the weekend and it is apparently in high demand because it was the number one bestselling local CD as per the stores sales.

Maureen said...

Sauti Sol is gifted, to say the least. I bought their album 'Mwanzo' today @ Silverbird Junction (retail price 950 bob) and listened to it in the car straight away. The instruments are rich. Their voices give me goosebumps. & the combination is fresh, delightful and so so enjoyable. Their lycrics are catchy. I look forward to seeing them live in concert. 'Mwanzo' is my best music buy this year!

kellie said...

Got a copy 2 months ago, and as you've seen on my Twitter stream, my day isn't complete without Sauti Sol. Lazizi and Asubuhi are like the sweetest songs ever!

Can't wait for their 8th August concert, and next album

rahab_k said...

they have a distinct sound that one instantly falls in love with. just lovely!

asalispot.com said...

I agree. Very exciting

Cee said...

Sauti Sol is the ishh....and I bet they will only get better with time. They are like wine unlike the usual monotony of kenyan music that is like milk. Please give dates and locations for their tours....do they have a website or something????

Brian said...

Sauti Sol are redefining kenyan music. I wish I could get their lyrics to put on my local lyrics website. Check out http://www.lyrlcalkenya.com

www.infoafricanow.com said...

All the best Sauti Sol! Rafiki Kenya, I just listed you on my site www.infoafricanow.com. Let me know what you think!

Akinyi Adongo
www.infoafricanow.com

Mama said...

I had no idea who Sauti Sol were, until I heard some girl singing on Project Fame. I can't really say I liked the song, twas something like 'twende java, tukunywe kahawa'.

Unless of course I got it wrong. I guess I need to look for their music, to hear if I missed something great-'on first dismissal'.

Penya Africa said...

Sauti Sol websites:

1. http://www.penyafrica.ocm
2. http://www.myspace.com/sautisol
3. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46673869965

Digzer said...

I know I'm so terribly late but I bought their album today and am in bliss.

Such a talented group has nothing but success ahead of them.