Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The monetary value of Kenyan Tweets

I did a rather controversial post recently on the monetary value of Kenyan blogs. And today, the growing popularity of the micro-blogging site Twitter in Kenya made me wonder whether Tweets also have a value. And yes, apparently some people sell their Twitter profile background graphic to advertisers at a price based on various factors. You can use What's Your Tweet Worth? to calculate the approximate value of your Tweet per month by simply entering a username into the site. I just ran the applet for 10 of my favourite Kenyan Tweets, and here are the results:
These ten tweets give us a total of US$423.04. That's about KShs 34,000 - every month. With that kind of budget, the ten of us could organize some nice choma party - every month.

The site doesn’t provide any insights on how the valuation is calculated, so please take this with the usual pinch of salt.  

6 comments:

kainvestor said...

@Richardbranson can by a second hand car every two months from adverts on his twitter page backgroung...he's worth $3634/mnth

pink m said...

First you don't rank my blog, and now my tweets? *pouting*

How're you Rafiki?

Rafiki said...

@ kainvestor: And is he one of your followers?

@ pink m: I am fine darling. I think you understand that I can't put references to you in ALL of my postings. And anyway, putting a monetary value on your blog or your Tweet wouldn't do them any justice at all, since they are both just out of this league.

nikolas said...

nice. now if only someone would pay me!

jke said...

W00t, I am rich - mine are at ~64/month. Now let me look at that wallpaper thing...

Lowell said...

@The_Real_Shaq were $5K per tweet. for a campaign of twenty tweets spread over 3 days, we're looking at Shaq getting $100K for typing down a few lines. Now, that's what I call a powerful brand