Thursday, January 1, 2009

Nairobi strip club 'Chillers' raided by police

Capital FM had an interesting New Year's Eve celebration story in their headlines today: at least 15 people were arrested when police raided a popular strip club in View Park Towers in Nairobi (anyone familiar with Nairobi nightlife will tell you the club is actually named 'Chillers').
The detainees, including barely-dressed girls, scrambled to escape jostling journalists and cameramen intent to grab their images.
Amazingly, none of the other media houses seem to have covered the story so far. I find the action by police really timely as entertainment is becoming a bit too raunchy in Nairobi these days.
Nairobi provincial Police chief Njue Njagi vowed the crackdown on night spots deemed to promote prostitution. “I will not allow such clubs to continue carrying out these acts of prostitution. My officers are under strict instructions to raid all of them because I understand they are quite a number in town”.
So it looks like more joints may follow soon. I'd better stay out of places like Lido's, Pango F3 and Apple Bees for the time being. Happy New Year!

13 comments:

val said...

"Loitering with the intent to commit a crime" :)

How I have laughed!!!!

Rafiki said...

@ val: And in the meantime they don't have enough time to tackle real crimes, what a shame!

Anonymous said...

Over-priced drinks & saggy-assed chicks. I'd say discouraging prostitution is more like it!

pink m said...

Kenya strip clubs are nasty! Dirty stinky stuff (I'm not saying I've been into any). All in all, police have more serious problems to deal with.

Mama said...

Eii Rafiki, you know many! Its good you have given us the heads up on which clubs to avoid.

Happy new year.

bomseh said...

Making it illegal will make it more popular. Sex sells and will always sell.

coldtusker said...

Rafiki: So you are avoiding them... for now?

BTW, funny that the cops finally woke up to the club since View Park Towers is barely 5 minutes from Central Police Station.

Isn't there a University in VPT as well?

BTW, came thru to your blog thru ur comments on mine...

Mountainous said...

one raid a month won't shut them down if they are serious all they need is to close them down for good if they are violating their licence terms.
Best way of stopping people going to this joints is to install bright street lighting around them and install CCTV cameras in broad view. It worked for certain parts of K-street!

Rafiki said...

@ anon: Saggy-assed? Depends on your taste I guess.

@ pink m: I don't really know how nasty they are.

@ mama: I know them through word-of-mouth - just like pink m, I am not saying I have been into any.

@ bomseh: So let's legalize them. Should the girls pay taxes then?

@ coldtusker: Please feel welcome to the blog. You are also on my bloglist because of the good work you are doing.
You are right, at least two universities are represented in View Park Towers: Moi University Nairobi Satellite Campus and Kenya Methodist University Nairobi Campus satellite centre. I guess Chillers enables the female students at View Park Towers to earn some extra cash, they can go straight from the SC (satellite campus) to the other SC (strip club).

@ Mountainous: Excellent suggestions! Maybe a few webcams linked to a publicly available website could also help.

greamhouze said...

I have been to Chillers and that was years ago as a result of company. Went to another joint eeeeehhhhhh am forgetting the name, eeehhh. cant get it but its located somewhere behind Roast House near Koja. Chillers is classy stuff compared to those other dingy joints. But with Chillers I was there for Hip Hop shows. I have always thought of going back but then again the embarrassment of being paraded infront of cameras as a nude watcher is not very interesting

Rafiki said...

@ greamhouze: You realize I am limiting myself to the most decent places only.

Kenyan King of girls said...

Police are always disturbing the peace and taking away people's rights. Why stop the fun policeman?

Blogger said...

I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I enjoy having the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.